People are constantly confused when using terms of the technological realm like”web designer” and “web developer.” Even though both jobs are from the same industry, i.e., the computer sciences (information and computer technology) world, the difference between them is as clearly visibly different as the sun and moon. Both of these jobs require highly-competitive, logical, and analytical skillsets.
People with sharp minds who can easily comprehend the logical aspects of Web development and have a knack for artistic sights work on both of these jobs simultaneously, but both these jobs are opposites. Instead, they are complementary. So when people use the terms “web designer” vs. “web developer” conversely, they are stirring a hornet’s nest because this is unjustifiable.
It’s important to understand Web designing; a business needs an entire team to design and launch a complex, interactive website. For Web Development, a team of a minimum of two and a maximum of fifteen members fifteen (or more) is required.
The Web Development professionals involved in the procedure include web designers, copywriters, web developers, SEO professionals, or if unsure, hire dedicated developers for projects. Branding and branding strategy is part of the same process too. Thus, it’s easy to see how misunderstanding emerges when analyzing what a web designer does differently from a web developer and vice-versa. To make things understandable and use these terms correctly, this article is here to make things more obvious.
Web designing is just about anything that requires an aesthetic eye and artistic flair. Moreover, web designers work with the visuals of a website while also ensuring that the site is user-friendly and straightforward so visitors can interact with it.
The job of a Web designer is critical- they need to make sure that visitors’ retention rate keeps on increasing; they must be able to find things they wish quick and spend more time on a website. To do this, they analyze the most modern trends in web design, acknowledge design principles and standards, follow users’ demands explicitly while making the website, and much more. Web designers generate layouts and visuals that are visually appealing for the visitors while keeping in mind how they will feel while browsing the site.
There are three categories of Web Designers: UX, UI, and VD/GD (Visual/Graphic Designer). Here’s a short description of them:
User Experience (UX)
User Experience (UX) designers ensure that a website keeps visitors engaged and boosts organic traffic. They carefully evaluate data and information and trends before putting things into practice. Furthermore, UX designers run complexly detailed assessments and streamline the websites to optimize the user experience for better sales and company reputation.
User Interface (UI)
User Interface (UI) designers handle how well users can interact with the features present on the website. The User Interface (UI) is everything visitors see when visiting a website. Therefore, the website needs to be visually appealing and seamlessly fit to get the expected workflow.
A UX and a UI designer’s responsibilities can be combined into one job, making an individual profile – the Visual/GraphicDesigner. Visual Design produces visually attractive and suitable interfaces for visitors to use. Also, they must keep in mind the needs and requirements of the brand.Visual/Graphic design skills include both creativity and coding.
Web Developer & Development
The definition of a web development developer is reasonably related to that of a web designer. Web developers have an essential role in website development and creation. They manage the process’s execution and implementation stages. After deciphering the goals and structure of the website, web developers can go into the next phase to transform the concept and make it a reality.
Understanding the Web Designer vs.Web Developer comparison hinges on this distinction mentioned above.
- To bring every aspect of the wbsite together, let’s take a look at a quick breakdown of the most significant distinctions between these two roles:
- Web designers focus on look, usability, and appearance, whereas web developers focus on the functionality and structure of the website.
- Web designers conceptualize the website’s look, designing a prototype based on graphical, UX, and UI features. Then, web development specialists determine whether the concept is fiscally and technically credible, program and code the website.
- Web developers require a substantial amount of technical knowledge. It is because it contains understanding new and complex programming languages and frameworks. However, research and analysis showed that web designer’s role is less technical and all about visual and creative elements.
- There are different categories of web developers, including Front-end, Back-end, and Full-stack Developers. However, UX, UI, and Graphic/Visual designers are the three principal web designers.
- The tools and programs used by web developers include programming libraries and frameworks, coding QA and versioning, error/bug tracking platforms such as GitHub, hosting management panels, FTP clients, and CMSs. However, web designers usually use design editing software such as Photoshop, WordPress (or any other CMS), a website builder such as Elementor, and wireframing/prototyping tools.
- Web developers and designers are responsible for developing, deploying, and maintaining websites. But ultimately, the two functions depend on each other to deliver a quality product.
The main difference is that Web Development focuses on the website’s technical attributes, such as programming. On the other hand, Web designers manage the visuals and conceptual workings; necessary to ensure a solid UX and UI customer experience.